The August 11, 2010 TasteTV at The Press Club's 1st Annual Wine & Food Pairing Taste-Offwas a great success!At the Taste-Off, attendees sampled six food & wine combinations, and helped the Press Club decide the best new pairing to put on their lounge menu. Attendees judged seasonal plates paired with four reds and two whites from their six, Northern California partnered wineries: Miner Family Vinyards, Fritz, Saintsbury, Mount Eden Vinyards, Hanna, and Chateau Montelena.
The food pairings already had two vegetarian options, and I asked Chef Bill if he could make all my pairings vegetarian or vegan. His colleagues graciously created special food pairings.
Here were the Veggie Pairings (these can be veganized with some creativity):
1. Chateau Montelena Chardonnay, Napa 2008 Savory Zucchini Cakes topped with an Arugula Pesto Cream, Fried Shallot Garni
2. HANNA Sauvignon Blanc, Russian River 2009 Lettuce Cups with Summer Grilled Peach Salsa
3. Mount Eden Domain Eden Pinot Noir, Santa Cruz Mountains 2008 Organic Spinach and Mushroom Blintz with Truffled Chevre, Chive Oil Drizzle
4. Miner Family Sangiovese, Gibson Ranch 2007 Creamy Three Cheese Crostini with Heiroom Tomato, Basil Chiffonade
5. Fritz Reserve Zinfandel, Dry Creek 2007 Tostadas with Artisan White Cheddar, Cilantro Cream