At the San Francisco Vegetarian Festival 2010, Dr. Fuhrman MD had 2 Sessions covering Obesity and Cancer. The First Session which I highly recommend is in this video, and notes from his second session on Cancer are also below. I really like Dr. Fuhrman's concept of "Nutritarian". Per Dr. Fuhrman, vegetarian, vegan, and meat-eater diets could all be unhealthy if you're not watching your nutrition. A Nutritarian puts knowledge and practice of Nutrition at the forefront. Also check out the surprising Vitamin D study below. (Note there is a short ad before the video starts, and then you'll see the video)
Per Dr. Fuhrman's Cancer Presentation: 1. Eat chinese cabbage, bok choy and turnips to help prevent breast cancer. a. Chew the salad to release cancer prevention compounds. b. Eat alot of cruciferous veggies. c. Eat a big green salad with nuts and seeds...no oil
2. Mushrooms decreased risk of breast cancer by 64%. Onions reduce all cancers by 50 percent. a. Onions and mushrooms are powerful angiogenesis inhibitors. Mushrooms are a natural aromatase inhibitor. b. Chop onions up small; then throw in soup.
c. Cook mushrooms for 5 minutes to remove toxins. Eat garlic, soy, cinnamon, berries, greens. Eat raw onions in salads and soups.
3. When a food has more nutrients, it's more anti-inflammatory.
4. Animal fats increased colon and pancreatic cancer.
5. Higher white blood cell counts are associated with increased cancer risk.
6. Soybeans are associated with lower risk of breast cancer.
7. Dr. Fuhrman prefers Hemp milk - Almond milk is fine too. You can make your own Almond milk by combining almonds, water, and a date.
8. Folic acid is dangerous - Look for natural Folate Green veggies have the power to reduce plaque from artery walls. Green veggies are necessary for women..folate..not folic acid.
9. Vitamin D is the most powerful anticancer substance in history. There was a recent study showing a 50% reduction of breast cancer in only 5 years with people taking Vitamin D. Cancer cells were already growing but stopped because of vitamin D. Lack of Vitamin D can cause Parkinsons. (Vitamin d2 is vegan.) Dr. Fuhrman also mentioned the importance of everyone getting their Vitamin D levels tested. He also talked about a patient of his that couldn't eat for a few years. Other doctors told him he had to have surgery to correct the problem. Dr. Fuhrman knew that digestive problems could be a result of low Vitamin D levels. As a result of Vitamin D testing, the patient had an extremelly low Vitamin D level and after Vitamin D supplementation was able to eat normally.
10. DHA and Cancer - There was a 30% reduction in prostate cancer occurrence in highest quartile of DHA intake.
11. Zinc and Cancer - 15 mg of zinc a day or more is needed.
Copyright Gratitude Gourmet (tm) All Rights Reserved