We recently had a very lovely Cava Tasting and Lunch presented by Codorníu-Raventós and led by Leslie Sbrocco at Rambler Restaurant in San Francisco.
We explored the new classification for Cava: Cava de Paraje Calificado. This classification is the top rung in terms of quality from the region, and the Cavas that carry this seal are producers' most ambitious wines, sourced from single estates in the very best vineyard sites. This classification is truly meant to show the best of what Cava can do.
All Cavas are sparkling wines from Spain - Most Cavas are made in the Catalonia region of Spain. All Cavas are made in the Traditional Method (aka Champagne Method). Most Cavas are made with grape varieties native to Catalonia, although a substantial portion are made from international varieties.
Total Production: 245,155,988 Catalonia: 95% of production Remaining areas: 5% of production
CAVA DE PARAJE CALIFICADO Cava is from a Qualified Site and announced in 2016.
CAVA DE PARAJE CALIFICADO - Cava produced using grapes from a particular place whose specific soil and climate conditions, when partnered with rigorous quality standards, create an exceptional wine with distinctive features.
DISTINCTIONS CAVA DE PARAJE CALIFICADO - 9+ Months, Wine grown in a small qualified area
- Only vintage Cava made in Brut (or Brut Nature) styles
- Wines aged at least 36 months on lees
- Vines must be at least 10 years old
-Wines must not be acidified
Lunch was lovely.
Ahi Tartare with Crushed Avocado, Apple and Lemon Vinaigrette
Anna de Codorniu Blanc de Blancs Reserva, NV, Barcelona
Seafood Risotto with Day Boat Scallops, Manila Clams, Shrimp, Mascarpone and Meyer Lemon Aioli
Anna de Codorniu Brut Rose, NV, Barcelona
Dark Chocolate Pot De Creme with Whipped Chantilly, Candied Cocoa Nibs, Hazelnut Toast
Anna de Codorniu Dulce, NV, Barcelona “Ana on Ice”