Smoothies, Falafel Wraps, Caesar Salad, Pizza, Lasagna, Carrot Cake, and Brownies. Rod Rotondi is Author of Raw Food for Real Peopleand teaches about raw food through DVDs, retreats, and online and in-person classes. The founder of the Leaf Organics retail product line and Leaf Cuisine restaurants, he caters events and lives in Los Angeles, and you can visit him online at http://www.leaforganics.com.
Rod's book shares his Foreign Travels, Road to his Raw Vegan Diet, How he Became an Entrepreneur, Transitioning to a Raw Food Diet, Setting up your Kitchen, All Meal Categories including Breakfasts, Appetizers, Soups, Entrees, and Desserts, and even a Special Kids Section. He uses his unique perspective to create world cuisine into affordable raw, vegan **If you're looking for a great raw vegan cookbook, this is definitely one you should have on hand.
Page 141 of the book lists Thanksgiving recipes for the Love Loaf, Cranberry Sauce, and Mashed Taters. As a Special Treat toGratitude GourmetReaders, these recipes are below, excerpted from the book Raw Food for Real People 2010 by Rod Rotondi. Printed with permission from the New World Library. ----- Thanksgiving Feast
Here are a few dishes to serve for a wonderful holiday meal. They are based around the traditional Thanksgiving meal, but with a raw vegan twist. We were running this as a special on Thanksgiving at the restaurant, and the Food Network came in and filmed me making it for a show called The Secret Life of Thanksgiving. It still airs every Thanksgiving. This meal is something to celebrate! If you like, you can choose a pie from the dessert chapter to complete the feast.
Love Loaf If you are into making meat substitutes, then you should try this one. It is a very meaty and delicious dish. If you want to make it even more meaty, add a cup of soaked sun-dried tomatoes. Makes 6 to 8 slices 1/2 cup sesame seeds, ground 1/3 cup flaxseeds, ground 3/4 cup sunflower seeds, ground Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/2 cup) 1/4 cup mild miso paste 2 yams, chopped (about 2 cups) 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup) 1 medium apple, cored and chopped (about 1 cup) 8 sage leaves 1 small yellow summer squash, chopped (about 1/2 cup) 2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1. Put the ground sesame seeds, flaxseeds, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.
2. Put all the rest of the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. You can process this in batches if your machine can’t do it all in one batch.
3. Add the processed vegetables to the ground seeds and mix together well.
4. Form the mixture into a long, low loaf, about 1 1/2 inches thick, on a ParraFlex sheet. Put in the dehydrator and dehydrate for 10 to 12 hours, until the loaf is slightly crispy but still a little spongy.
5. To serve, cut the loaf into slices about 3/4 inch thick and return them to the dehydrator for about an hour to warm and crisp up. Put a slice on each plate, and serve with Mashed Taters, Cranberry Sauce (recipes follow), and some greens.
Cranberry Sauce This sauce is simple but packs a lot of flavor. If you like, you can sweeten it even more with about 1/4 cup agave nectar. Serves 6 to 8
2 medium oranges, peeled and quartered 1 cup fresh cranberries (use frozen if you can’t find fresh) 1/2 cup pitted dates 1/2 cup soaked walnuts (soaked 2 hours, drained, and rinsed) 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1. Put the oranges first, then the rest of the ingredients, in a food processor. Process to your desired consistency. For a smoother sauce, you may remove some to a blender and blend until smooth, then return to the processor and pulse to mix.
Mashed Taters This makes for a tasty and healthy comfort food. Smooth and delicious. Serves 8
2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 cups soaked cashews (soaked 2 hours, drained, and rinsed) 2 small heads cauliflower, chopped (about 3 cups) 2 medium cloves garlic 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary 2 teaspoons sea salt
1. Put all the ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth, about the consistency of mashed potatoes.
Copyright Gratitude Gourmet (tm) All Rights Reserved
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.