In The Southern Living Party Cookbook: A Modern Guide to Gathering, Heiskell, a best-selling author and a TODAY show food contributor, has written a Cookbook divided by occasion, including Bridal Tea, Garden Club Luncheon, Summer Nights, Cocktails and Canapés, Tailgate, Picnic on the Lawn, Fall Dinner, and 24 more gatherings you’ll want to host.
Even if you're not in the South and in California, for example, you will find the book enlightening and fresh. Many recipes can be made vegetarian or vegan.
Enjoy this recipe for Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Salsa with Blue Corn Chips. 20 minutes - Serves 8
- 1 1⁄2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, small diced (about 3 1⁄4 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion (from 1 small onion)
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Cilantro leaves (optional)
Blue corn tortilla chips
Gently toss together the tomatoes, red onion, avocados, jalapeno, chopped cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt, cumin, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Garnish with the cilantro leaves, if desired. Serve with the tortilla chips.
Excerpted from The Southern Living Party Cookbook by Elizabeth Heiskell. Copyright © 2018 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from TI Inc. Books, a division of Meredith Corporation. New York, NY. All rights reserved.