Chef Touhy Dean & DeLuca
Dean and Deluca's Chef Touhy prepared his Walnut Emulsion Recipe for the California Walnuts Event. Note that the ingredients include anchovies, however, several guests on the tour mentioned eggplant is a great substitute to make it vegan/vegetarian. Let us know if you have other ideas for veggie substitutions.
2 cups toasted California walnuts, in halves or large pieces
2 tablespoons (about 1 ounce) coarsely chopped anchovies packed in oil (eggplant added by Gratitude Gourmet)
1/3 cup water, plus more if needed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup walnut oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon, more or less, Kosher salt, or ¼ teaspoon plain salt
Put the walnuts in a food processor with the anchovies (eggplant added instead by Gratitude Gourmet), water, vinegar and walnut oil. Blend until smooth, stopping a couple times to scrape down the sides of the container with a rubber
spatula. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in olive oil.
The puree should be the consistency of a softly whipped cream, not peanut butter. If it seems too thick, add a little more water and pulse or blend until incorporated.
Season to taste with salt. If not using immediately, refrigerate in a covered container.
Makes about 2 cups, serves 12 (2 tbsp each)
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Michael Tuohy
All California Walnut Harvest 2011 Stories and Videos by Gratitude Gourmet
1. Dr Roizen speaks on US Health, Disease Reversal, Genes & US Economic Competitiveness
2. Dean and Deluca's Chef Touhy’s Walnut Emulsion Recipe
3. Chef Cindy Pawlcyn's Turkish Walnut-Garlic Spread with Hot & Sweet Peppers & Pomegranate Syrup
4. California Walnut Orchard Visit - Farmer Introduction - Walnut Shaker
5. Chef Todd Humphries Recipes: Celery Salad & Walnut Bread Pudding
6. Videos: Trefethen Winery Stories - California Walnut Harvest