2 cups toasted California walnuts, in halves or large pieces
2 tablespoons (about 1 ounce) coarsely chopped anchovies packed in oil (eggplant added by Gratitude Gourmet)
1/3 cup water, plus more if needed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup walnut oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon, more or less, Kosher salt, or ¼ teaspoon plain salt
Put the walnuts in a food processor with the anchovies (eggplant added instead by Gratitude Gourmet), water, vinegar and walnut oil. Blend until smooth, stopping a couple times to scrape down the sides of the container with a rubber
spatula. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in olive oil.
The puree should be the consistency of a softly whipped cream, not peanut butter. If it seems too thick, add a little more water and pulse or blend until incorporated.
Season to taste with salt. If not using immediately, refrigerate in a covered container.
Makes about 2 cups, serves 12 (2 tbsp each)
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Michael Tuohy
1. Dr Roizen speaks on US Health, Disease Reversal, Genes & US Economic Competitiveness
2. Dean and Deluca's Chef Touhy’s Walnut Emulsion Recipe
3. Chef Cindy Pawlcyn's Turkish Walnut-Garlic Spread with Hot & Sweet Peppers & Pomegranate Syrup
4. California Walnut Orchard Visit - Farmer Introduction - Walnut Shaker
5. Chef Todd Humphries Recipes: Celery Salad & Walnut Bread Pudding
6. Videos: Trefethen Winery Stories - California Walnut Harvest