We're happy to announce the winner of our Gratitude Gourmet Broccoli Facebook Recipe Contest! Congratulations to Robert Priddy with his Recipe: Broccoli & Cranberry Slaw, and he will receive a Wusthof Classic Pairing Knife 3.5" as his Prize!
We received lots of delicious and healthy recipe submissions which you can view and try here, and we asked the Gratitude Gourmet Community to vote by 'liking' their favorites on this page and the Recipe with the most 'likes' won! Thanks to everyone who submitted and 'liked' - there were alot of 'likes'!
We all know of course that all submissions are fabulous because they encourage the Gratitude Gourmet community to add Broccoli and other healthy items to their daily eating, and in turn make everyone healthy. We encourage you to check out all the Recipe Submissions, and continue to let us know your favorites. We also thank Wusthof for sponsoring this quality prize!
Here is the winning recipe by Robert Priddy: Broccoli & Cranberry Slaw!
1 (12-ounce) bag Broccoli Slaw
1/3 cup Dried Cranberries
2 stalks Celery -- minced
¼ cup Red Onion – diced
1/3 cup Mandarin Oranges -- diced
¼ cup Pecans – chopped
¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
3 tbsp Olive Oil
½ tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Celery Seed
Salt and Pepper – to taste
1. In a bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper, and celery seeds.
2. Mix in remaining ingredients: broccoli slaw, celery, cranberries, oranges, pecans, and onion.
3. Let this sit for at least a hour and stir a few times.
In honor of Earth Day, GratitudeGourmet is hosting a Pin-to-Win Contest where you can share your favorite Earth Day Pins!
1. Follow GratitudeGourmet on Pinterest.
2. Comment on this Blog with your name, and we'll invite you to contribute to the Gratitude Gourmet Earth Day Board.
3. Pin Earth Day Pins to the Board. Pins can be from your blog, GratitudeGourmet.com or other ideas
4. Pins from GratititudeGourmet.com are worth 2 entries!
5. You must pin your images with the tag #GratitudeGourmet
6. Pin as many times as you'd like, as long as each pin is unique.
Contest ends Tuesday April 24 12noon PT & 1 winner receives a box of Gratitude Gourmet Chocolate.
Great News! Thank you to our Gratitude Gourmet Readers for entering our Veggie Broccoli Recipe Contest!!
Here are the Entries in Order of Submission:
1. Dragon Rice Bowl with Marinated Tofu by Leanne Vogel
2. Baked Broccoli and Tomato with Garlic Oil Sauce by Hidemi Walsh
3. Wilted Broccoli with Fig- Apple Vinaigrette by Donna-Marie Ryan
4. Noodle Stir Fry by Amy Clouser
5. Malaysian Tofu and Broccoli Curry
6. Roasted Broccoli & Raisins by Mary Marlowe Leverette
7. Super Easy and Great Tasting Recipe by MB Food-Creations
8. Mushroom Stroganoff by Laura Francis
9. Dreamy Broccoli Risotto by Kay Kuebler
10. Oven Roasted Broccoli by Sherri Logan Williams
11. Broccoli & Cranberry Slaw by Robert Priddy
Vote (Like) Your Favorite Recipes on this Facebook Page by April 30 - Just click on each picture and 'Like' your favorites! The Recipe with the most likes by April 30th wins!!
(Note: some folks didn't have a food picture so their Facebook picture was uploaded instead.)
Good Luck to Everyone and Share with your friends and have them vote on this Gratitude Gourmet Facebook Page by April 30th!
You can Like as many as you want and if you try some recipes, comment on them on Facebook and let us know your thoughts on flavors, taste, creativity etc! Have Fun and Happy Cooking!
I've previously written about Vegetables and their Cancer-Preventive Properties, and here's a new Study for your reference.
Per the University of Illinois Website and Cancer Today magazine, there's mention of a January 2011 study from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, published in Nutrition and Cancer which "provides convincing evidence that the way you prepare and consume your broccoli matters, and also suggests that teaming broccoli with broccoli sprouts may make the vegetable's anti-cancer effect almost twice as powerful."
Per Elizabeth Jeffery, a University of Illinois Professor of Nutrition, "Broccoli, prepared correctly, is an extremely potent cancer-fighting agent--three to five servings a week are enough to have an effect. To get broccoli's benefits, though, the enzyme myrosinase has to be present; if it's not there, sulforaphane, broccoli's cancer-preventive and anti-inflammatory component, doesn't form."
She also states that "many people destroy myrosinase by overcooking their broccoli....and "steaming broccoli for two to four minutes is the perfect way to protect both the enzyme and the vegetable's nutrients."
Jeffrey also says that "Other foods that contain sulforaphane can also be teamed with broccoli to boost its benefits: mustard, radishes, arugula, and wasabi." She advises: "To increase the vegetable's benefits, you could sprinkle broccoli sprouts on your broccoli or make a mustard sauce to serve with broccoli."
Wusthof Pairing Knife
Gratitude Gourmet is sponsoring a Broccoli Recipe Contest!
Do you have a favorite Broccoli Recipe or have you wanted to try one? Get your favorite recipes out, because Gratitude Gourmet is hosting its first ever Broccoli Recipe Contest!
Recipe Submission Deadline: March 30, 2012
Voting Deadline: 8PM PT, April 30, 2012
*Only one recipe per participant, please.
1. Submit your favorite vegetarian/vegan recipe (appetizer, entree, side dish...the choice is yours!) by posting it to our Gratitude Gourmet Facebook Wall by March 30, 2012.
2. We will upload the recipe to this Official Gratitude Gourmet Facebook Recipe Contest Photo Album.
3. The recipe with the most Likes by APRIL 30, 2012 at 8PM Pacific Time will be announced as the winner.
4. By the end, we will all have a list of great broccoli recipes for everyone to enjoy, and your homemade broccoli casserole could be famous!
What's the prize, you ask? Just the thing to get your cooking underway, a Wusthof Classic Pairing Knife 3.5" valued at $67. This Wusthof 3.5-inch Paring Knife is ideal for all light chopping tasks in the kitchen, whether peeling, coring or garnishing and is perfect for cutting Broccoli and Vegetables. The straight edge offers precise depth control producing flawlessly beautiful dishes. Wusthof's New Precision EdgeTechnology (PEtec) gives this knife an extraordinarily sharp blade that retains its edge 30% longer, features a traditional, triple riveted, ergonomic handle design, precision forged from a single sheet of steel with bolster and full tang, use for light chopping tasks, such as peeling, coring or garnishing.
I've really enjoyed my high quality Wusthof Classic 5 Piece Studio Set, and the products have a lifetime warranty. Follow Wusthof on Twitter @wusthof & Like them on Facebook.
Post any questions or inquiries to our Facebook page wall and we'll get back to you ASAP.
We can't wait to see what you're cooking!
Here's a great recipe for Broccoli, Soba & Shiitake Mushrooms With Wasabi-Mustard Vinaigrette and Toasted Sesame by Dean Rucker, a chef and author of Golden Door Cooks at Home to get you inspired!
Remember: Submit your favorite recipe (appetizer, entree, side dish) by posting it to our Gratitude Gourmet Facebook Wall by March 30, 2012. Please share the contest on Facebook/Twitter and in your networks to help get your friends and family healthy too!
More good Karma for you :)