Amy Xue, Gratitude Gourmet's Intern, shared her Vegan Chocolate Cake and Raspberry Chocolate Frosting recipe. Thanks, Amy!
Sunset Celebration Weekend, one of the best San Francisco garden and food events, is happening June 5-6 with garden gurus and wine seminars. It's a must see event!
A June 2010 Prevention article noted a University of California, Davis study analyzing 100 commercial brews, light colored ales, such as India Pale Ale (IPA) containing the most silicon, a compound that increases bone mineral density in women with osteoporosis. The researchers believe it's due to the silicon-rich hops and malted barley, and when enjoyed in moderation, you could boost your bone mineral density by up to 16%! Cheers to that!
Photo Credit: Self Magazine
The June 2010 Self Magazine lists Superfoods for Flat Abs. They include:
- Avocado - a Diabetes Care Journal study finds that dieters who consumed monounsaturated fats lost more stomach bulge than those eating the same amount of calories but less of the fats. Blood sugar peaks can signal your body to store fat around your midsection, but monounsaturated fats stop the spikes, thwarting fat accumulation
- Green Tea - a Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise study shows drinking 3 cups of green tea daily may raise your metabolism and burn 30 calories daily
- Blueberries - antioxidants help improve blood flow which delivers more oxygen to your muscles
- Bulgar - Dieters who dined on whole grains lost more tummy fat than those who ate refined grains
I've been a fan of Nature's Path Organic products for several years. Nature's Path started as an Organic Berry Farm in 1949. One of the children, Arran, started the first vegetarian restaurant on Canada's west coast, opened the region's first natural supermarket, then founded Nature's Path. Nature's Path has just announced new cereals including Crunchy Vanilla Sunrise (Gluten Free) with quinoa, buckwheat and amaranth and Flax Plus Red Berry Crunch with Raspberries and Strawberries. If you're on the run, or don't have time for a real meal, check out their energy bars: Mmmaple Pecan, Peanut Buddy, Peanut Choco, Berry Strawberry, and Chocolate Crispy Rice. Are you hungry yet?
Gratitude Gourmet and Nature's Path are giving away Nature's Path Products. For a chance to win 1 of 5 prizes, share your favorite cereal and/or energy bar with us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/GratitudeGourmet
What is your favorite earth-friendly food? Post it on the Facebook page for a chance to win Cedarlane Food http://www.facebook.com/GratitudeGourmet
If you're interested in reading a thought-provoking book on food choices, The World Peace Diet - Eating for Spiritual Health, and Social Harmony is a must read. Will Tuttle has a master's degree in the humanities from San Francisco State University and a Ph.D in the philosophy of education from the University of California, Berkeley. Some of the Chapter Titles include: Food's Power, Our Culture's Roots, The Nature of Intelligence, Inheriting our Food Choices, Evolve or Dissolve, and Journey of Transformation. Quotes from several well-known people frequent the book, i.e.
- Mahatma Ghandi: "The most violent weapon on earth is the table fork."
- Alice Walker: "Animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks are made for whites or women for men."
- George Bernard Shaw: "The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of inhumanity."
I recommend this book.
Articles by Gratitude Gourmet
All Rights Reserved.